the years 1885 to 1990, a Baptist Mission was organized on South
Wall Street in Sioux City, Iowa. In 1887, the first articles of
Corporation were filed.
On October 8, 1900 this mission met to organize the first Negro
Baptist Church in Sioux City, Iowa. It was named the Mount Zion
In 1902, the Church was incorporated and the building at West 6th
and Bluff was purchased. On June 26th 1932 the members of the Church
marched to our present location at 1421 Geneva Street, which we
In September 1947, the cornerstone was laid and the mortgage was
burned. The church was paid for.
Our present pastor, Dr. Floyd E. Brown, was called to Pastor on
June 21, 1978. Installation services for Dr. Brown was held on Sunday
September 17, 1978.
Under Reverend Brown’s leadership from the years 1982 to 1997,
the Church has purchased and cleared all property in the square
block of Geneva to Silver – 14th Street to 15th Street, and
also have obtained two alleyways.
In 1984 we started our Building Fund Drive. In 1987 to 1997 we had
a special drive to pay off all debts and to increase our monetary
amount in the building fund. Our Theme: (A Decade of Togetherness).
In 1989 an endowment fund was set up and members of the Church were
asked to give a pledge towards the new building. In 1995, a closed
circuit television was installed in our lower unit. In December
1997 we were debt free, all loans and debts were paid off.